If you have a slow shower drain, it can cause frustration. There are multiple causes for the slow shower drain. In this article, we will look into the causes, tips to avoid, and how to fix a slow shower drain. Do contact Plumber Gilbert for help.
The common causes of slow shower drain
- Soap scum gets accumulated leading to a blockage in the pipe. Using liquid soap is better as bar soap creates more residue.
- Another common cause of blocked drains is hair clogs. The hair that gets collected in the drain will eventually form a clog.
- The hard water leaves mineral sediments in the pipe leading to blockage.
- Mineral buildup in the pipe also causes a drain block. This is especially true if you are using hard water.
- Sewer line issues can also cause slow shower drain problems.
Some of the unexpected causes are mentioned below:
There are a few other unexpected causes for the slow shower drain.
- A slimy substance known as Biofilm that is made of algae, bacteria, and other microorganisms develops in your pipe resulting in slow drainage and blockage.
- There can be leaks and cracks in old pipes leading to slow drainage.
- Water can pool and cause slow drainage if the drain is not sloped properly.
- If there is no proper ventilation, it can slow down the drainage and can even result in other problems.
- Poor installation like the wrong placement of pipes or drains can also cause drainage issues.
The tips to prevent slow shower drain
There are a few preventive measures that you can take to overcome the slow shower drain issue.
- The first and foremost tip is to regularly clean the shower drain. Because there might be soap scum, hair, and other particles that get collected in the drain leading to the blockade. Homemade solutions like vinegar or baking soda can be used to clean the debris.
- A drain cover can be used as it grabs the debris and hair from entering the drain. It can also be cleaned easily.
- Another major cause of slow shower drain is hard water. So, you can install a water softener to prevent the minerals from entering the water pipe.
- You need to be watchful as to what enters the drain pipe. Avoid pouring oils, grease, etc as they can result in clogs by getting solidified.
- Hair and soap can clump together resulting in a blocked drain. The water will eventually slow down and completely stop working.
- The minerals, calcium, and magnesium present in the hard water can even cause slow drainage problems, hence water softener must be used.
- Install the right-sized pipe and place it in the correct position. If you detect a problem in the sewer line, call a professional plumber.
Fixing the slow drain problem
- Regularly clean the drain and pipes
- Remove any hair or soap scum
- Take the help of a professional plumber
- Clear any hard water deposits
In conclusion, the slow drainage problem can be frustrating, but it can be fixed. If you are aware of the cause of the problem, you can even take some preventive measures to avoid them and ensure your shower drain works smoothly.